Monday 21 March 2011

Dreamer


Dreamer, you’re nothing but a dreamer, well can you put your hands in your head, oh no…

You see, every cloud has a silver lining. If it hadn’t been for me leaving the car unlocked last time I was in London and some thieving bastard nicking my digital radio/CD player, I wouldn’t have ended up with Giles’s old cassette radio and made the discovery of the century in a shredded plastic bag in the bowels of my car boot: a bunch of old cassettes. Supertramp! Crime of the Century! Even in the Quie… hang on a moment, let me rephrase this:

Top 10 albums for re-living my youth

1. Crime of the Century - Supertramp
2. Even in the Quietest Moments - Supertramp
3. Breakfast in America - Supertramp
4. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Elton John
5. Band on the Run – Paul McCartney
6. Greatest Hits – Simon & Garfunkel
7. Greatest Hits – Queen
8. Their Greatest Hits – Eagles
9. Legend – Bob Marley
10. Songs from the Big Chair - Tears for Fears

And none of that wretched digital radio rubbish which keeps cutting out. Just good old trusty analogue, which just goes crackly when you’re out of reception.

Dreamer (Come on and dream, dream along), you’re nothing but a dreamer (Come on and dream, dream along)…’

Meredith wants to know what I do all day. Well, I’ve just had to interrupt my blog monetisation investigations to drive half-an-hour to pick up Lily, and then I shall drive half-an-hour back to deposit her with her saxophone teacher, who's slotting in an extra lesson since Lily's exam is almost upon us. Then I shall cook supper. Then I shall pick her up. Then we shall eat supper and go to bed. Just running a house, walking the dog and to-ing and fro-ing your child is practically a full-time job. Especially when you’re the sole carer. Your whole life is reactive – you are your child’s personal taxi and 999 service.

Oh God! Which means there’s no way I can do a proper job. It’s not just the general 999iness. What about the holidays? I can’t farm her out for the entire hols. Or leave her alone all day. So that means I can only do a job that fits in with the school hols. So I don’t have any choice. I’ve just got to be an inventor or an entrepreneur.

No comments:

Post a Comment