Thursday 3 March 2011

An opportunity not to be missed

14:15

‘Is he still working abroad?’ enquires Helen. We’re pinning our hopes so far on the fact that Gitface didn’t actually say he’d lost all his money. Only that there was No Marlborough. 


‘Yes.’


‘For a UK company?’

‘No.'

‘Is there a property in this country that could be sold for capital…’

‘No. He's already sold it.’

‘Ah. Does he have a UK bank account?’

‘I don’t know. He's been paying me through a Swiss bank account.’

‘Ah.’

She goes through all the scenarios, but it seems ours, with Gitface swanning around Asia, having cleverly got rid of his UK assets before I smelt a huge rat, not working for a UK company or having a UK bank account that I know of, basically makes him totally unaccountable or gettable, short of employing one’s own hit squad (not that Helen suggested it). She’s going to email him asking for information and documentation blah blah, and make an application to the court to make funds available according to the original court order, blah blah. ‘The bottom line is,’ she sums up, ‘if there’s no money in the UK, it’s difficult to enforce it.’

I can’t believe this! Conniving, bastardly bastard! So now I have to shell out £300 plus VAT for the initial correspondence, but if the court thing drags on, she says we’re looking at £2,000 to pursue an application, and I might like to consider whether I can pay for that.

‘Will I jeopardise my case if I try and get a job while you're pursuing him?' I ask. 'I haven’t worked since we got married, over 20 years ago!’

‘I can’t advise you in any official capacity,’ she says. ‘But some people put their life on hold, and I think that’s very dangerous. You might miss an opportunity.’

14:35

Shall not slump. Shall not let Gitface get me down. Shall keep alert for opportunity not to be missed. Hmmm. Shall ask online oracle for inspiration.  

This one looks good. I Ching online. My question: ‘Will I find perfect job?’ No, let’s be more specific. ‘Will I find perfect, fulfilling and well remunerated job?’ No, it needs more direction. 'Where will I find perfect, fulfilling and well remunerated job?’ Except don’t want it to reply something clever like, ‘In the Candlebury Advertiser.’ I've got it. ‘In what field will I find perfect, fulfilling and well remunerated job?’

Throw coins virtually or by hand? By hand. Blimey, you could get RSI flipping all these coins. 18 of them. Click, click, click… OK, stand by for reading.

If you realize that in this situation you are the receptor, not the transmitter of the stimulus, you will find yourself reaching goals that seemed unattainable under your own steam. If you persist in futile efforts to be the Shaper rather than the Shaped, you will completely miss this unique opportunity.

Opportunities, opportunities! Everyone's banging on about opportunities. Well, that’s marvellous. And according to the iChing, I don’t have to do anything, indeed must not do anything. Must not try to shape destiny. Which presumably means not looking for a job? Must just sit back and wait, antennae pricked up and ready to receive. Er. Haven’t I been doing that for the past 10 years? No, to be fair on the iChing, antennae have been a bit bowed and apologetic. Henceforth shall keep them polished and erect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment